Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 6: BELUGA WHALES!

Everyone always talks about seeing a polar bear, but today I got to see something so much cooler, Beluga Whales! Today was our day off, so we were able to sleep in an hour. Doesn't sound like much but considering the fact the the sun goes down at 10:30 and it truly isn't dark until midnight, I've had trouble getting to bed before then so the later I can wake the better.
Miss Piggy on the left, the bay on the right



We drove 30 minutes to Churchill and and on the way we stopped at a plane crash called Ms. Piggy. It was the closest we'd ever been to the Bay. The crash was fascinating the the bay was stunning.

The only polar bear I've seen on this trip has been
at the Eskimo museum.
Once in Churchill, we first visited the Eskimo Museum. There were thousands of hand sculpted rock, bone, and ivory made by the Inuit and first nations people.

My favorite animal and a snack for
the polar bears. 










Best lunch spot in town that I
know of
Hey Kids, it's the Hudson Bay!















After After wondering around town a bit, buying souvenirs and stamps we met up at "The Gypsy," the town bakery and Portuguese eatery. I had a delicious Bafina sandwich which is like spicy chicken on the most melt-in-your-mouth bun I'd ever eaten. Then it was off to the river to gear up so we could go Kayak with some belugas! We took a North Sea Kayak Tour and it was incredible.
Robin and I bundled up for kayaking

Pick a paddle, any paddle


A Beluga Whale trailing my Kayak!
Imagine getting out in the middle of the river and just hearing, HWhooooo over and over again as the whales exhale at the water's surface. The belugas are a little shy at first but they love it when you paddle fast. They tend to chase your Kayak once you get going. I had a whole group of them following me on two different occasions.
Coming up for air
Can you see his eye?

Can you pick our the flipper?
All of the kayaks
coming in























The funny part is you'll be surrounded by belugas and laughing but as soon as you put your paddle down and pick your camera up they all dive deep and disappear. But I learned a trick and that is how I captured pictures of the belugas while idling. Belugas also love sound. They are curious whales.  I learned a little trick that if I tapped my foot up and down in my Kayak I could get belugas all around my Kayak without moving and thus the pictures you can see here. It was really fun, and really hot, wish I hadn't worn so many layers. you start to sweat when you are paddling fast. But regardless I giggled almost the entire time. I wish I could post video in this blog cause I did get some fun footage of me trying to snipper a picture while Kayaking at the same time. Best news yet, my phone did not go in the water!

After Kayaking we just explored the town for a bit. I went to the school, sports, theater, bowling alley, hospital complex...Yes, they have one of those here in little (popul. 800) Churchill. After that, I went to the Wapusk park office and museum exhibit. That is also at the train station.


What Churchill is known for
Chai latte
Finally, I went looking for a cute pair of beluga earrings around in the gift shops...which I didn't find, mostly just polar bear earings. But before meeting back up with our ride back to the CNSC, Nancy and I went to the Lazy Bear Lodge (which felt like Christmas inside, all log cabin style, with fire places, and evergreens inside, and sleighbell music. Nancy got an expresso and I got a chai latte. It was the best chai latte I'd had in a long time.

Now back at the research center and tomorrow is another day of field work, so I will retire early. The song of "Baby Beluga in the deep blue sea" will probably be replaying itself in my head over and over as I fall asleep. Maybe I'll dream of swimming with Beluga whales.

No comments:

Post a Comment